Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Thrifty Entry Furniture (Part 2)

Earlier this week I shared this furniture transformation for our entry area.


As I mentioned in the first part of this series, I had a really sucessful estate sale/thrift store weekend a little while back.

Another piece that I got that same day was this bamboo legged plant stand that I bought from the thrift store for $2.99. I love plants stands (and it is a great beginner project for painting). You can use them for so many things, from holding plants to a small side table to set down your drink. Again, like the bench, I loved the sturdiness and shape of this table (but not the finish).



My transformation began by cleaning, lightly sanding and applying two coats of Behr Ultra Dragonfly in flat.  When dry, I applied a coat of Glidden White Dove (color matched to the Behr). I sanded and distressed it all when it dried.  Then, to tie it into the chevron fabric on the bench, I measure 6 inches from the bottom of each leg and carefully applied painters tape.  I then painted it with silver specialty paint from Martha Stewart to give it the dip-died look that has become popular lately.  Lastly, I sealed it with finishing wax.




What I love about it is that is this casual, chippy, beachy look, with these fancy little glam silver feet.  I have loads of the silver paint left so I'm sure it will be turning up in all sorts of unexpected places!

What do you think?  Have you ever tried dip dying?

Later this week I'll be sharing full pictures of my newly revamped entryway and how this unusual little space links to my living room.

In the meantime stay cool! (It's unbearable here in Massachusetts!)

Angela

Linking to:
shabby creek cottageHookingupwithHoH 52 MantelsPhotobucket