Monday, February 25, 2013

Early Spring Mantel

My March mantel has a few touches of spring. Seriously, as much spring as I can muster in New England after yet another blustery storm.  I'm sort of getting a little bit jealous of all of you in other parts of the country where spring is far more evident.
 





I moved this old Pier 1 mirror in from the dining room. It's one of my favorite things. I just love the detailed corners.
 



A small grouping of my candlestick collection. All brass and all thrifted. Two of my favorite things, ever. The little sparkly candles I have used over and over since Christmas and they just always seem to work.  I picked them up last fall at one of my favorite local stores.








Back in December when I got a ton of free evergreens via craigslist I also grabbed some of these twigs. I haven't a clue what type of tree they were from, but I love the sculptural shape and I think they are perfect for March in Massachusetts with all those little buds.  The crusty metal vase was a thrift store find that I bought 1. because I loved that it was rusty and 2. I loved that fresh aqua color.
 

 
 
 
The colors of the metal flower frog mesh perfectly with the vase and I added in this old picture of New York City.  Seriously, years ago, I picked up this little book of tourist pictures of New York for free at a tag sale and I've had it stashed away until just recently.  I really like the interest of the city scape and the perfect blue sky.
 


 
 
I had to bring out a terracotta pot for my spring mantel. I filled it with coleus clippings (in water), of course.


 

More brass...this cute roadrunner, a gift from my Mom, usually sits in a window. And the books, while not antique, add a little bit more height and interest. (By the way, some libraries give their discarded books away for free and I love to snatch them up for projects or displays like this.)
 
 

 
 
This old brass bench, originally in my dining room has a new life holding a stack of wood. I totally love how some of the wood still has the bark on it.
 


 
 
I bet you're all wondering where I bought the wood, right? No? Well, I'm going to share anyway. It was one of those prepackaged bundles at the grocery store for just a couple of dollars. And I was probably the only person in the Northeast buying it for purely decoration purposes the day before we got that major blizzard a few weeks ago.  Crazy.
 


 So what's the weather like where you are? Have you begun decorating for spring, yet?  I think I'll start adding little touches here and there.  The entire house is so much brighter with the new lighter wall colors so I feel more apt to want to start decorating now. Plus, I have been so inspired by all the other spring additions my fellow bloggers have been adding.
 
Have a great week!
 

 




Linking to:
DIY Show Off Mod Vintage Lifehttp://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/2013/02/nifty-thrifty-tuesday-no151.html My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia52 MantelsBeyond The Picket FencePhotobucket A Delightsome Life Rooted In Thymevif187Liz Marie Bloghttp://www.jenniferrizzo.com/ Boogieboard Cottage”FallFridays Unfolded  http://www.savvysouthernstyle.net/