Wednesday, February 27, 2013

[Project Notebook] New or Vintage Couch?

 
Last week, on my Facebook page, I started a discussion on purchasing a couch. Specifically, would you buy new or would you buy vintage and have it professionally reupholstered? (You can check out my fb page, here.)
 
Martino and I have totally different thought processes regarding this whole couch issue.  Can you guess what side of the discussion I'm on? If you said vintage, you are totally right!
 
Nevertheless, I do feel it is a good idea to weigh all my options since this is such a big purchase.
 
In terms of new couches, I have it narrowed down to the following five options, with option number four being the top pick.
 
 
 
 
 

 
I'm totally more the dreamer and risk taker, so having an old couch professionally reupholstered is my top pick.  Additionally, as you all know, I love vintage and repurposing and reusing older items. I just truly think there is so much beauty, quality and craftsmanship in older furniture.  And it's so much better environmentally, right?
 
With that said, I have been researching before and afters to get a feel for what can be done.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Pretty amazing makeovers, right?
 
Lastly, on the vintage front, here is a completely comprehensive article by my fave designer, Emily Henderson, outlining Everything You Need to Know About Reupholstering Vintage Furniture.  If you are ever even considering this idea then check out her excellent post.
 
 
 
 Now, please, please, please tell me your opinions.  What do you think we should do?  Have you bought new before and from where? Or, have you purchased vintage and reupholstered? 
 
I can't wait to read your comments!
 
 
 

 
Linking to:
DIY Show Off Mod Vintage Lifehttp://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/2013/02/nifty-thrifty-tuesday-no151.html My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia52 MantelsBeyond The Picket FencePhotobucket A Delightsome Life Rooted In Thymevif187Liz Marie Bloghttp://www.jenniferrizzo.com/ Boogieboard Cottage”FallFridays Unfolded  http://www.savvysouthernstyle.net/