Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Easy, Painted Canning Jars

I love an easy craft project! I have been seeing these painted canning jars on Etsy and Pinterest lately and have been really wanting to make some.
 
 


 
 I just gathered a few supplies:  clean canning jars, paint (I used leftover paint I had from furniture projects--Behr Premium Plus Ultra), paint brushes and varnish (Delta Creative matte exterior/interior) and a nail file.




So, while this project is simple, it isn't necessarily quick because you need to give each coat a good amount of drying time. It also didn't help that the week I made them it was insanely humid and rainy!




Anyway, I painted the exterior of the canning jars with the paint colors I had chosen (at least two coats). When the paint had dried (seriously this could have been the weather, but I did this project over a series of days), I lightly distressed the jars using a nail file. I just focused the distressing on some key parts of the jars, like the rim and where the words are raised.




Lastly, I gave each jar a couple of coats of the varnish which gave them a really gorgeous finish. Since I used matte, they are not necessarily shiny, but it definitely finished off the jars nicely.




Love these! I have them for sale for my local customers and am excited to use them in my own summer décor. I'm thinking filled with flowers from the garden or just simply displayed as is.











Linking to: 
DIY Show Off Mod Vintage Lifehttp://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/2013/02/nifty-thrifty-tuesday-no151.htmlthurCozyLittleHousebadge150xhttp://www.cozylittlehouse.com/ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia52 MantelsBeyond The Picket FencePhotobucket A Delightsome Life vif187http://www.jenniferrizzo.com/ Boogieboard Cottage”Fall  http://www.savvysouthernstyle.net/


 

7 comments:

  1. I really like how your painted jars turned out! The colors are perfect for summer. It's good to know that you used a nail file on these. Have a great day! ~ Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think these are great colors and I like the piece behind them

    Cynthia b

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the colors you used. Scraping the paint from the raised areas was a great way to show off the imprint. Great job!
    Blessings!
    Kim @ Curtain Queen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these! I always thought these were painted on the inside and no way was I going there. These came out great! I bought some aqua spray paint...maybe it is time to play! Found you at Wow Us Wednesdays and following you via Bloglovin'. Please visit me at my blog sometime....
    http://www.musingsofavintagejunkie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am going to try this also
    I see you used vintage jars which I like
    thanks for the instructions

    ReplyDelete
  6. These turned out really nice, and I love the colors you chose. I've really loved decorating with mason jars lately, and this is a good way to bring it up a level. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these!! Coming over from The Scoop.

    I invite you to come link up to our new #LetsMingle Monday social link party! We also have giveaways each week!
    http://thefirstyearblog.com/2013/06/03/letsmingle-monday-1/

    Beth @ The First Year Blog

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by Number Fifty-Three! I look forward to your comments.