Thursday, May 23, 2013

Farmhouse Potting Bench

One of the things I love most about my little furniture painting business is the hunt for new pieces. A lot of the time I am looking for something specific that a client has requested, but sometimes I'm out there buying pieces that I think are worthy of a makeover.





A couple of weekends ago I went to a sale just outside of my neighborhood and found this great work table. Seriously, I knew that there was nothing inherently special about it, but I was drawn to it for some reason.


 
 
I knew immediately that I wanted to paint the base an old, chippy white and re-stain the top and shelf (I went with a dark walnut).
 

 


 
 
It was a relatively easy and quick makeover since the piece was so structurally sound...no need for my usual gluing, tightening, patching, etc... But, have you ever found that its the easiest projects that sometimes cause you the most grief? Here's the before:


 
 
So, when I had finished the painting and staining I went to replace the casters. I always try to use as much of the original pieces that I can on vintage furniture, but two out of the four were broken, so I decided to replace them all. I bought a new four pack of casters at The Home Depot. They were the kind of casters that you have to screw on, which I figured would be easy enough. Yeah, not so easy when the previous owners had used, and I am not exaggerating, four inch screws and super glue to attach the previous casters.

 
 
My poor husband worked for two nights trying to get those old casters off without damaging the furniture. Of course, once they were off I had to completely fill in all of the holes before I could attached the new casters.
 
 

 
In the end, I completely love how this turned out and it was worth all the effort (at least I think so, talk to my husband and it might be a different story!)



 
Anyway, I sold this piece yesterday, which was awesome! One less piece of furniture in my house. (You should see my entry right now...it is insane!)


 
 
 

Linking to: 
DIY Show Off Mod Vintage Lifehttp://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/2013/02/nifty-thrifty-tuesday-no151.htmlthurCozyLittleHousebadge150xhttp://www.cozylittlehouse.com/ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia52 MantelsBeyond The Picket FencePhotobucket A Delightsome Life vif187http://www.jenniferrizzo.com/ Boogieboard Cottage”Fall  http://www.savvysouthernstyle.net/


 

9 comments:

  1. super cute! i love the combo of wood and white!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty! I really like it painted; it gives it a new life! :-) stopping by from Inspiration Gallery link party today!
    Ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course it sold... it is awesome! Love the choice of the stain and white!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great table and I love the vignette you have displayed. Have a great weekend!

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really cute table...love it painted

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your table turned out great, it looks so sturdy, perfect for a potting bench.
    Jeannie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this table! You did a great job of transforming it. :)

    We'd love for you to share this at Much Ado About Monday, if you get a chance! http://www.huckleberrylove.com/2013/05/much-ado-about-monday-no-11.html

    ~Emily
    www.huckleberrylove.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi angie. I am seriously behind in my blog reading but am so glad I went back and saw this little table's transformation. It really does look very nice with the two tones. Do you sell most of your stuff on craig's list?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by Number Fifty-Three! I look forward to your comments.