Thursday, July 25, 2013

Painted Vintage Dresser (Webster's Review)

Several weeks ago I picked up this amazing dresser off of craigslist. What immediately caught my eye was the original hardware. Love, love, love.

 

I knew that I wanted to keep the paint technique simple, without lots of distressing, and I wanted the color to enhance the cream swirls in the center of the knobs.
 

 
 
I ended up choosing Valspar's Churchill Hotel Lace, a rich creamy white. However, I decided to add in some Webster's Chalk Paint Powder to give it a try. I thought this was the perfect project to test it out on since I wanted even coverage and a gorgeous, smooth finish.
 

 
 
(Here's the before)
 
 
 
I did give the dresser a good sanding before I began painting, but only because it was a super slick surface and sometimes I panic/obsess about the paint adhering, especially on a project like this when I knew I did not want lots of distressing.
 
 
 
Now, to be truthful, I have never used Annie Sloan Chalk Paint so I cannot possibly compare the Webster's additive to that. However, I have made my own chalk paint using unsanded grout many, many, times and the Webster's Chalk Paint Powder far exceeds my DIY version. The problem I always ran into with the unsanded grout is that I could never get it to mix properly and always ended up with lumps that would then end up on my furniture. The Webster's, by contrast, mixed so smooth and easily.
 
 
 
The other thing that I really love about Webster's is that you can add it to any latex paint, which is especially important to me because I love to try new colors when I'm painting furniture and don't want to be limited to a certain brand.
 
I ended up painting two full coats and a touch up for this dresser, which I think is completely reasonable considering I did not prime first and I wanted very solid coverage of a light color. The paint went on so smoothly and dried quickly to a gorgeous finish.
 
 
 
I am super happy with how this one turned out!  Have you ever tried Webster's Chalk Paint Powder?
 
 
 

 
Linking to: 
DIY Show Off Mod Vintage Lifehttp://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/2013/02/nifty-thrifty-tuesday-no151.htmlthurCozyLittleHousebadge150xhttp://www.cozylittlehouse.com/ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia52 MantelsBeyond The Picket FencePhotobucket A Delightsome Life vif187http://www.jenniferrizzo.com/ Boogieboard Cottage”Fall  http://www.savvysouthernstyle.net/


 
Furniture Feature Fridays