Monday, June 23, 2014

DIY Wine Crate Cabinet

*I was compensated for this post with supplies, however all content, thoughts and opinions are my own.

Hey friends!  I have a unique (and not too difficult) DIY to share with you all today.



 
As you may know we are in the middle of a major bathroom reno. It's definitely hit some snags, but I finally feel that we're on the road to some pretty awesome reveals. This also, completely explains why I just sort of stopped posting last week. You guys, I was so exhausted from working on projects and trying to keep up with the mess that a home renovation brings.




Anyway, as mentioned, one of three spaces getting updated in our home is our bathroom. Since, I picked very neutral tiles and accessories, I knew I needed to bring in some color and also a rustic feel.




One of the projects I worked on last week was this DIY Wine Crate Cabinet. I photographed it outside since I was excited to show it to you all and the bathroom is not quite ready for it. (Eventually, it will get hung up and hold our toothbrushes and accessories).




This was actually a pretty easy and inexpensive project. I'll walk you all through the steps. (And you can refer to my pictures for more detail.)




First, I started with two wine crates that my mom picked up for me a while back at the package store for just a couple of dollars each. (They keep them in the back and you normally have to ask an employee for them.)

Start by putting one box aside and then carefully dismantle the other box, I used a thin straight screwdriver and a hammer. Once done, remove the nails and staples. Note: I discarded the bottom of the box and used the four sides for this project because they seemed to be the strongest pieces of wood.

Once that is done take the two longer sides and glued them together. (You can see I used rubber bands to hold them together while they dried).

Next, paint or stain both the intact box and the one that you took apart. I used a combo of General Finishes Clear Glaze and Corinth Blue Paint. (Just mix a bit of paint into some of the glaze and apply like a stain.) I also gave all the pieces a coat of poly since it would be in a heavy use area.

Because I glued the two longer pieces together, I wanted to add in mending plates for added security since this will end up being the door of the cabinet. I simply screwed on two mending plates to secure. Note: you may need to buy shorter screws depending on the thickness of the your wood.

The two shorter sides of the box will become your shelves.  Attach corner braces, first to the piece of wood and then attach them accordingly into the cabinet box. (I had mine a little higher because I wanted to give enough room for our toothbrushes.)






Then, use narrow utility hinges to attach the door that you made to the cabinet box.

You'll then need to attach a magnet catch and strike so that the door stays closed once it is hung up.

Lastly, drill a hole for the hardware and attach. I used a gorgeous, gorgeous Cut Glass Knob from D. Lawless Hardware. Easily one of my favorites I've ever used!




I cannot wait. CANNOT. Until I can finally start adding in the pretty touches to our bathroom. The contractor is hoping to finish up at the end of this week. Fingers crossed!


Supply List: Two wine crates, drill, screwdriver, hammer, paint or stain, poly, brush, wood glue, clamp, screws, two mending plates, eight corner braces, two utility hinges, magnet plate and strike and knob.




9 comments:

  1. What a great idea and it looks beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just bought some of the General Finishes clear glaze and haven't had a chance to use it yet. I really like the finish you got on this cabinet. Inspires me to get out the brush and find something to use it on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it Angela - especially that you did a tinted glaze finish so the wine label isn't hidden. Very creative use of a wooden wine crate!
    Marie@The Interior Frugalista

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please tell me you are not having trouble with your new vanity....we just bought the same one at Ikea and have yet to install it......problems ahead? Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this project and what a lovely blue color you used. I love that crystal knob too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. I just went to one local to me that has an extensive wine collection.

      Delete

Thank you so much for stopping by Number Fifty-Three! I look forward to your comments.