Wednesday, July 6, 2016

How to Paint Laminate Furniture WITHOUT Using Chalk Style Paint

I honestly cannot even believe I'm writing this post right now. As a general rule I do not paint laminate furniture. Like ever. I just look the other way and say no.



But, I made an exception because my aunt asked me to freshen up a TV stand that she had so I decided to just try it out and see what would happen.


I've done some slicker furniture before, that even after sanding was not as roughed up as I would like and I used a lot of the same techniques from those pieces for this project.

Here's what you need: 150 and 320 grit sandpaper, bonding primer (I used Valspar Stainblocking Bonding Primer Sealer), paint, finishing wax or poly.



I started by lighting hand sanding the piece with the 150 grit paper to scuff up the finish.

Next, I applied a coat of the special primer and let it thoroughly dry.



I applied two coats of regular paint. This is where I differed from what I would normally do. Since chalk style paint has such great gripping ability I typically would have used that. However, I'm not the biggest fan of most brands as I find it too thick and you have to sand it too much to get a silky finish. This primer seriously has some amazing bonding ability though because it adheared just fine.

I then sanded the entire piece with the 320 grit paper to distress. I focused more on some areas to get a little extra distressing. This was the step that could make it or break it. I had visions of everything just peeling off, but to my delight it distressed just like a regular wood piece.




Lastly, I finished it with a coat of wax and buffed to a shine.



Super, super happy with the results of this one. I don't think I will make a habit of painting laminate, but it is nice to know that it is possible.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by Number Fifty-Three! I look forward to your comments.