Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Frugal, Seasonal, Natural {Decorating}

The main living areas in my home are decorated for autumn and I wanted to talk a little bit about my thrifty strategy to be able to afford decorating seasonally.

Interesting Containers

I aways find that plants, twigs, pine cones and the like look special and intentional when they are presented in an interesting and unusual container.  The contents can be easily changed out for each season allowing you to create many different looks throughout the year. 

Over the weekend I went to one of my favorite resale shops in a nearby college town and purchased two unique items for my home.  One was this basket for $4. I can already imagine how it will flow seasonally throughout our home, inside and out.


Items with Longevity

I frequently try to purchase items that will last for more than one season. These Indian corn were huge, colorful and just gorgeous!  I bought nine for just $9. As long as I leave them inside they will last and I can decorate with them year after year in new ways just by changing up how they are displayed.




Accept Free

This awesome, sturdy wood black chair cost us nothing!  I frequently check craigslist for free items, but this chair found us. We were about to stop at a tag sale recently and this was at a neighboring house with a free sign.

 
 
 
Choose Materials that Last
 
I love finding pumpkins made with different materials!  This vine and twig pumpkin came from Target for just $2.50. The natural material just screams autumn and harvest to me.
 
 
 
 
What tips do you have for easy, thrifty seasonal decorating?


 

 

 
 
 Linking to:
DIY Show Off UndertheTableandDreaming Mod Vintage Life My Uncommon Slice of SuburbiaHouse on the Way 52 Mantels Beyond The Picket Fence Photobucket A Delightsome Life Rooted In Thymevif187 Liz Marie Bloghttp://www.jenniferrizzo.com/ Funky Junk's Sat Nite Special A Delightsome Life Boogieboard Cottage Too Much Time On My Hands ”Fall Hubby Made MeNew Housebutton Fridays Unfolded PhotobucketOr so she says A Diamond in the Stuff The Thrifty Groove http://www.carterscottage.net/ The Chicken Chick
DIY Show Off Fall Festival Party


37 comments:

  1. I need to find some Indian corn like that...OK it is on my mental list now!

    I cut some some wonderful deep colored leaf branch's from a Burning Bush shrub I have, and put them in an old earthen jug.. I was really happy with the look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the chair and the basket! Such a pretty display!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great size and shape on your bushel basket. I like container vignettes too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's such a wonderful basket! I snapped up a few of those twig pumpkins at Target too, and now I wish I would have grabbed a few more :( I love your beautiful, simple display.
    Cheers, Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yo amo tu detalle.Bellisimo y crativo
    saludos

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Angela, Beautiful basket & chair. I look forward to seeing them decorated for the holidays to come. I have a basket and a large kitchen strainer that I bought at a garage sale one time and they are part of my holiday decorating. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your finds-especially the black chair! Your Fall display looks great.
    -Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE the basket and absolutely love the vine and twig pumpkin...how can I fit a trip to Target in....love your decor! I appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that chair. As for the indoor decorating, I go out doors and see what I can find freely from nature.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, you have a sharp eye to find a free chair and a great basket. Love the fall elements you have added to your basket.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That vine and twig pumpkin looks great. I love natural elements and have Indian corn that I have used for years. All you decorations are beautiful. Love the old black chair too. FREE is the best.
    Blessings,
    Audrey Z. http://audreyzumwalt.blogspot.com/
    Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  12. Angela, that is a great rustic fall display. I love that old basket. I don't really have any tips I use, I just like to dress up what I have in seasonal ways.

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW! What a great deal on that truly AWESOME chair! I love the corn this time of year. It adds such a beautiful rich color that is truly reflective of the season. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like your decor, Angela. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love Indian corn and it looks so nice in your basket. I forgot I have some Indian corn that I'll have to go looking for - I've had it for years.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a pretty arrangement...love that bushel ....just beautiful...I really need to start checking out that craig's list for freebies...! so nice to see you again...have a great weekend ! xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. What great tips. The basket is perfect. Definitely the thing you can use through the year...and only $4, really?

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so pretty! I love using natural elements in my decor, so I am completely drawn to this. The bucket is just gorgeous! Thanks so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks good! I have the same pumpkin from Target and several ears of Indian corn I reuse every year, too. Stopping by through Stuff and Nonsense...

    Shannon
    http://fixingforfriday.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great basket for every season! And love the "free" chair, lucky :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your thrifty finds and your decorating talents. I am fairly new to thrifting and I am learning to decorate my home with what I find. Just found your blog from The Brambleberry Cottage.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That's adorable! Thanks for sharing! We are your newest followers! http://moresisterstuff.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks great Angela! I can't believe you got that chair for free.. What a score. Love all the natural touches. Thank you for linking up at the Wildly Original party!

    <3 Christina at I Gotta Create!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely finds! I especially love the chair and the basket. Your decor is simple and beautiful. Megan

    ReplyDelete
  25. Cool tips...I lke the ida of reusing items for multiple seasons. That makes sense. I need to think that way when I decorate. My seasonal decorating is minimal although I could make it stretch if I did this. Thanks for the tips - really love your pumpkin :o)
    Thanks for sharing this week at the Creative Inspirations Party!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your decorating tips are excellent, Angela. One thing that I like to do is see what I find in my own backyard. I grow hops, and so I can bring the pretty leaves and bracts indoors to decorate in the fall. It's also pretty amazing how long-lived many flowers are--I've still got nice-looking roses that can be added into fall displays.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love your fall style! I didn't know that the corn could last for years. Good to know. The chair and basket are great finds! Have a great day. ~ Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love your thrifty decorations! I think using the natural elements is very attractive! Love that free chair!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great decorating tips Angela.Thanks for linking up at Shabbilicious Friday this week.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Loving your packet Angela! Thanx for coming to THT!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love the basket! And I've got one of those little pumpkins too :) So pretty! Thanks for linking up to Throwback Thursday :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank you for joining Simple & Sweet Fridays.

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love using natural elements in decorating - pretty and thrifty too!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love Indian corn, so pretty! Thanks for sharing this on 'Or so she says...' at last week's link party! I would love to have you add the party to your list and stop back to share more of your great ideas. There's actually a party going on right now (it's every Saturday through Tuesday.) Thanks a bunch! ~ Mariel www.oneshetwoshe.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a great score the black chair was! Free=good! :)
    Thanks for linking up with the Clever Chicks this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. That is really cool, my Mother used to have seasonal decorations for everything, she always loved changing up the look around the house, it was one of her favorite hobbies.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by Number Fifty-Three! I look forward to your comments.