Monday, October 29, 2012

Super Easy, DIY, Bittersweet Wreath

I whipped up this super simple and amazingly low cost wreath earlier today. 
 



All you need is a grapevine wreath from the craft store (I purchased mine for just about $2.50 with a coupon) and a massive amount of bittersweet. And that is it!

Now, I'm not sure what the availability is of bittersweet in other areas, but in New England it is everywhere. It's gorgeous and just screams autumn to me and I happen to have found a spot, in my very own city, where it is growing and growing and growing. And I promise you, if you find some it won't just be one or two twigs; this stuff grows like crazy.

I'm sitting here totally wondering what my neighbors must have thought of me as I was running up my street with a trash bag overflowing with bittersweet and a pair of clippers in my hand. Ha!

Anyway, as you can see by my collage below this is a super easy and quick (albeit, messy) project.

 
 
 
So, basically all you do is cut pieces of the bittersweet and tuck it into the grapevine wreath securely; no gluing or tying needed.  You can see in the fourth picture that the bittersweet was starting to get very wispy and was not following the shape of the wreath as much as I would have liked, so I just clipped those long pieces and tucked them back into the grapevine.

 


Here's a little peak of what my plan is for this wreath.  I'll be sure to share more soon!

 
 
 
Stay warm and dry and safe! 
 
 
 

Linking to: DIY Show OffUndertheTableandDreamingMod Vintage Life My Uncommon Slice of SuburbiaHouse on the Way52 MantelsBeyond The Picket FencePhotobucket A Delightsome Life Rooted In Thymevif187Liz Marie Bloghttp://www.jenniferrizzo.com/Funky Junk's Sat Nite Special A Delightsome LifeBoogieboard CottageToo Much Time On My Hands”FallHubby Made MeNew HousebuttonFridays Unfolded PhotobucketOr so she says MakingA Diamond in the Stuff The Thrifty Groovehttp://www.carterscottage.net/
The Chicken ChickThe Inspired Room












33 comments:

  1. I don't think I've ever seen bittersweet, but I really like it! It looks great in your wreath :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning!! I haven't find bittersweet in my area :( I'll keep on looking, I love its colors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love that! some girls at the barn sell bittersweet wreaths and they are just so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely wreath. I have not seen bittersweet down here in SC. I am having a candle giveaway, please feel free to stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it Angela. Not sure of any massive amounts or small amounts of bittersweet anywhere around these parts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful. I love the natural and wild look of the grapevine and bittersweet. So pretty for fall.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just beautiful! Don't know where to find bittersweet in N.Ga. either. Great wreath!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your wreath Angela is to die for!! There is no bitter-sweet around this parts, so what a shame, I would love to make one!! I'm pinning too! Have a safe week and a Happy Halloween! Thanks for dropping by honey.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Angela, I sure love the stuff but there's no bittersweet in the South or at least not here in Georgia. Your wreath is perfect for fall!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Angela, Your wreath is fabulous! No bittersweet around here :(. Oh, maybe at Michaels! :) Is that cheating?

    Love your blog and will be following you. Please visit the French Hen's Nest anytime.
    Linda and Jeannie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it!!!!! I'm hopping over from Cowgirl up. Happily enjoying my visit to your sweet blog and you know I am already a happy follower. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  12. When it stops raining, I'm heading out with clippers in hand! Thanks....this is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a lovely wreath, Angela. I don't think I've ever seen bittersweet growing here--I think it must be an East Coast-type plant, but it certainly is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a gorgeous Wreath! I love bittersweet and I especially love the fullness of yours!
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous! I 've never heard of bittersweet before, wish I had some! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful, Angela! and so easy! I just love bittersweet... unfortunately it doesn't grow around here :(

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's beautiful! I love how simple you left it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful....and SIMPLE!!! I just wish I had some access to some bittersweet! XO, Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have plenty of bittersweet in my area, New England, and just love decorating with it. Your wreath is beautiful!!

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  20. It is too warm in the south for bittersweet and I love it. I bought some a long time ago at a craft show further north and it lasted around three years. It would sell like hot cakes around here. Wish someone would make a pretty faux vine too but haven't seen a pretty one. Most of them are so fake looking.

    Your wreath looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Bittersweet was one of my mother's favorites; beautiful wreath!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this wreath!!! ...thanks for sharing instructions on how to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's lovely. Too hot to grow it here in Georgia.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I LOVE your wreath! I am also from the south and from the comments listed, it will not grow here....wish it did. Visiting from Time Travel Thursday and am your newest follower! Stop by Still Woods Farmhouse for a visit when you get a chance!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love this wreath. It is so simple and pretty! http://www.frommyfrontporchtoyours.com/2012/10/treasure-hunt-thursday-80-highlights.html

    ReplyDelete
  26. So pretty! So easy, yet so elegant. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love this wreath, so festive for the fall- wanted you to know I featured it on my Saturday favorites- have a great weekend- Claire

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh how pretty! I love natural and wispy wreaths! I've never seen a bittersweet bush in our area, but I definitely need to see if I can grow it here!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love the wreath, thanks for sharing on Simple & Sweet Fridays.

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  30. Not to be Debbie Downer, but bittersweet is an invasive transplant. Just be very careful because it will cover native species and has been known to grow so heavily that grown trees topple from the added weight. Not as bad as kutsu.
    I have made wreaths of bittersweet because of its beauty, but they never seemed to last in the house...perhaps the berries knew I was watching them, on guard to make sure I could thwart their invasion plans.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love this! I wish it grew down here in GA, or at least I have seen it anywhere near me, or I would definitely make one these!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I adore your wreath - it is has simplicity and beauty! Love it!
    Thanks for linking up this week - hope to see you again this week!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
  33. Featured you today!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by Number Fifty-Three! I look forward to your comments.