Sunday, March 24, 2013

$25 Refinished Antique Dresser

 All of you that redo furniture with the sole purpose of selling it, how do you let the pieces go?!? 
 
Last weekend I bought this dresser at the Goodwill for $25. I love the size and the fantastic, original hardware.
  



The dresser, although quite old, was in pretty fantastic shape.  After a good cleaning and sanding of the body of the piece, I painted everything but the drawers in Martha Stewart's Glass of Milk and lightly distressed.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 I then washed the drawers with some Murphy's Oil Soap.  They cleaned up very nicely, I think.
 
 
 

 

 Everything got a good coat of wax to protect it. I left the hardware as is.



 Here's the before:
 
 
I then made the mistake of bringing it into our dining room and styling it.  My Mom and I sat back and talked about how awesome the dresser looked in this space. I love all the shades of white.
 
 
 
 
And, what are your thoughts on two-toned furniture?  I have an exact opposite dresser in my living room with a stained body and painted drawers (here) and Cassie at Primitive & Proper did something very similar to this piece (here). I think I kind of love it!




Sigh.  For my Massachusetts and Connecticut friends, this dresser will be for sale at Village Primitives on Main Street in Sturbridge, Massachusetts. So thrilled to be selling some of my things there from now on and to be saying goodbye (hopefully) to the craziness that is craigslist.


UPDATE:  The dresser sold before I even left the building. Score!

Have a great week!




 
Linking to: 
DIY Show Off Mod Vintage Lifehttp://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/2013/02/nifty-thrifty-tuesday-no151.htmlthurCozyLittleHousebadge150xhttp://www.cozylittlehouse.com/ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia52 MantelsBeyond The Picket FencePhotobucket A Delightsome Life vif187http://www.jenniferrizzo.com/ Boogieboard Cottage”Fall  http://www.savvysouthernstyle.net/


 
Green Willow PondWorking With What You Have link up at emilyaclark.com
Furniture Feature Fridays