Sunday, April 14, 2013

Quick Antique Ladder Back Chair Makeover

 Don't you love a good tag sale find and a quick makeover? Tag sales are slowly starting up again in Massachusetts, although I have to say that it is completely freezing here today.
 
 
I went to just one tag sale Saturday afternoon after I saw it listed on craigslist. They were selling the most amazing antique dresser (which I also happened to score), a few miscellaneous items and this cool, antique ladder back chair.



And, I can totally attest to the ladder back of this chair, because Figgy did, in fact, attempt to climb it like a ladder when I had it lying down. Cats!
 
The before was very worn and dated and in need of a serious gluing on all the joints. 




 
 
I like to work pretty quickly when I am refurbishing furniture, especially items that I plan to resell.  And, I think I have a rather efficient process for chair updating.
 



To start, I clean the chair and remove the seat. I repair any loose joints using wood glue or tighten any necessary screws.  While the glue dries I remove the old upholstery, evaluate the padding (replacing if needed) and reupholster the seat and set it aside (in this case I used a drop cloth remnant).
 
 
 
I then lightly sand the piece and give it another good cleaning. When I am using black paint I find that I only need one coat to give it a perfect worn look. (Amazing detailing, right?)
  
 

 
When the paint dries, I sand the entire piece using a sanding sponge to distress and add in a time worn look. Then I wax and buff and reattach the seat.




I'm so glad that I bought this amazing chair! I had actually been so focused on the dresser that I was totally ignoring the comments my Mom was making to me about the chair. I was literally getting back in the car when my she urged me to go back and take a look at it.  Mom's know best!
 

 
 
 
 
Have a great week!
 


 


 

Linking to: 
DIY Show Off Mod Vintage Lifehttp://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/2013/02/nifty-thrifty-tuesday-no151.htmlthurCozyLittleHousebadge150xhttp://www.cozylittlehouse.com/ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia52 MantelsBeyond The Picket FencePhotobucket A Delightsome Life vif187http://www.jenniferrizzo.com/ Boogieboard Cottage”Fall  http://www.savvysouthernstyle.net/


 
Green Willow Pond
Furniture Feature Fridays