Sunday, April 14, 2013

Antique Peacock Dresser

I had plans to go to some thrift stores on Saturday afternoon, but before I left, I hopped on craigslist and found an ad that was just placed in the furniture section for a tag sale about 20 minutes from my house with an awesome antique dresser.


Seriously, I couldn't get there fast enough. When I finally found the house (it's a town I'm not familiar with) I was so excited that it was still there. On facebook, I shared that I ran over to it like Phoebe Buffay. If you're a Friends fan will totally get that reference!



 

 
 



So, for $20 I brought this beauty home. I prepped it by removing the casters (one wheel was sadly missing) and giving it a good sanding and cleaning.




I didn't like how the top of the dresser still felt very slick, even after using the electric sander, so I opted to put a coat of adhesion primer on it for extra protection. I use Valspar.  I started the painting with a coat of Classic Silver by Behr.  When that was dry I painted it Peacock Feather (also by Behr). It is such a beautiful, rich turquoise. I think I just found another go to color!




I lightly distressed the piece, which revealed bits of the light gray, which I felt gave it a more cottage/beachy vibe.  Don't you love the legs!

Lastly, I waxed the dresser and put the hardware back on (I used all the original knobs that came with the piece).




I'm really hoping this sells super fast because I'm very quickly falling in love with it!  But as my husband always tells me, don't get high from your own supply. Which, if you've ever met my husband is the most hysterical and ironic thing ever because he is totally one of the most straight-laced people I know!


 
 
 


 

Linking to: 
DIY Show Off Mod Vintage Lifehttp://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/2013/02/nifty-thrifty-tuesday-no151.htmlthurCozyLittleHousebadge150xhttp://www.cozylittlehouse.com/ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia52 MantelsBeyond The Picket FencePhotobucket A Delightsome Life vif187http://www.jenniferrizzo.com/ Boogieboard Cottage”Fall  http://www.savvysouthernstyle.net/


 
Furniture Feature Fridays