Sunday, October 13, 2013

Updated Stenciled Entry


I know I'm seriously late (for me) for posting today, but I just had to jump on to share this awesome (albeit, quite nerve wracking) project I recently finished.
 
 


 
 
The awesome people at Cutting Edge Stencils were nice enough to send me out a stencil to try out in our home.
 
I was super excited because I have been wanting to do an accent wall (particularly in our entry) for a long time now, but didn't want to make the financial commitment of wallpaper. But, the more and more that I researched options, the more that I realized that stenciling has come a seriously long way and that you could really achieve a wallpaper feel by just using a stencil and a little paint.



For my project I chose the Harlequin Trellis because of its classic vintage feel and light overall pattern.
 
 
 
Remember at the beginning of my post when I said it was nerve wracking? Well, that was totally self induced, because stenciling is rather easy and gives a quick and dramatic result. This was honestly my very first time stenciling a wall and I don't think I could have picked a tougher one with its small windows, large radiator and curved door. Did I mention my house is old and seriously crooked? Good thing Cutting Edge Stencils sent me a level that clipped right on to the stencil! In fact, they sent me the large stencil sheet, the top stencil sheet and a single stencil along with the level, roller and brush. Other than some painters tape and paint I was ready to go.
 
Here is my before wall...so boring!
 


 
And the after! This project took me just a day to complete.



 I kept the base color of my walls (BM's Cloud Cover) the same to blend in with the rest of our space. For the stencil, I just used an inexpensive gold metallic craft paint. Love this combo!
 
Notice the worn feel of the stencil? I was going for a time worn wallpaper look, almost as if this area had been papered when the house was built. To achieve this I lightly sanded the entire wall after it has dried. Bonus: this also erased any imperfections I had made.
 


 


 
 
Just a reminder that the rest of my entry/sitting area looks like this...
 

 
Loving this space now and I sort of think I might just be hooked on stenciling!
 
 

 


 
 

 



Linking to: 
DIY Show Off Mod Vintage Lifehttp://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/2013/02/nifty-thrifty-tuesday-no151.htmlhttp://www.cozylittlehouse.com/ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia52 MantelsPhotobucket A Delightsome Life vif187http://www.jenniferrizzo.com/ ”Fall  http://www.savvysouthernstyle.net/
Furniture Feature Fridays


 
startathome
All Things Thursday Blog Hop