Monday, November 18, 2013

Book Page Feather Christmas Tree

Welcome all!
 
Here it is...my first Christmas craft of the season!



You know what? long before I even started my blog I was a serial redecorator. I just can't help changing things up. This is even the case at holidays. Like I really don't want my tree, mantel and all that to look the same year after year. Now that I have Number Fifty-Three I actually have the photographic evidence to remind me what I did in the past and how I want to change it for the future!
 
And, I think that is why I love making crafts so much. It's not like I can purchase all new Christmas decorations year after year! But, what I can do is make some simple and inexpensive crafts that lend a big impact and change the feel of my staple decorations.


 
 
This weekend I made this book page feather tree. It was simple. A little bit messy with all the tiny scraps of book pages from the cut outs, but well, well worth it!
 
Here's the supply list: a vintage black and white book, feather templates printed on cardstock (I used these), scissors, hot glue, a delicate looking branch (I used a forsythia clipping from my yard), vintage ornaments and a vessel to securely hold the "tree".
 
All you need to do is cut out a bunch of the feathers (I also snipped little lines along each side of the feather to give them a more realistic feel), and glued them to the branch. Easy, right? I didn't do tons of layers, but kept it really, really simple. I added a few ornaments and that was it!


 
 
I'm sharing it in my living room today, but I think it will actually be moving to our upstairs hallway very soon. I have some tweaking to do up there with furniture and paint and I think it is going to be much easier to decorate seasonally now. Can't wait to share it all with you!
 


 

 

 
 
 
Linking to: 

startathomeAll Things Thursday Blog Hop

http://cityfarmhouse.com/
”TheGoldenSycamore.com”

17 comments:

  1. Oh I love this, how clever and so creative. Be sure to link up to my Inspire Me party this afternoon. www.astrollthrulife.net Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you kidding me right now?!? AMAZING!!!!!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Already up for Christmas crafts? You are my hero! The feathers are so soft-looking and soothing, I love the Xmas tree a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks great angela and congrats on being named a contributor for jennifer rizzo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. adorable! i love it! i wanted to make some book page feathers but i have yet to!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How pretty! Love how simple and unique it looks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all things book page and this is quite unique... love it... I am pinning it to my Book Page Art board... Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is delicate and beautiful. Perfect for winter decorating in my library.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this, and may need to copy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So clever and creative. The tree is quite lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a clever idea. The tree is beautiful.
    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous, it is good to be able to make it yourself if you like changing things a lot.Nothing better than saving a buck and having something handcrafted and pretty too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Angela,
    Unique, indeed!!!
    I adore your creativity and simplicty!!!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love those feathers. :) Last fall I made an art book where I cut feathers out of old maps. Most satisfying. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by Number Fifty-Three! I look forward to your comments.