Thursday, January 2, 2014

Decorating on a Zero Budget

I'm sure most of you will agree with me that when you constantly like to decorate and redecorate it can get a little bit tough on the wallet.

I am so there right now. Since Christmas is put away, it's like a fresh start in my home. And, I feel like I want to decorate, switch around and make everything new for 2014. Problem (or challenge) is that I really, really don't want to spend any cash. Seriously. Those stores are just calling my name to come and pick through all those fab after Christmas sales. But, I must stay strong!
 
I have bigger plans that I need to save my money for. Boring stuff like paying the orthodontist bill and car payment every month. And exciting stuff like saving for a new counter top and other home updates.
 
So, here are my tips for decorating your home after Christmas on a zero budget. 



Take all of your favorite things and set them in a central location like your dining room table. At this point, your Christmas decorations have been put away, but keep things that read winter, versus holiday, out along with any plants you may have purchased during that season.  (Notice my little helper!)



Think about what's important to you at this moment. What kind of feel do you want for your home and what items absolutely need to be utilized? Remember, just because you own it doesn't mean it needs to be out. This is part of the fun of decorating...you can periodically switch things around.  Also, take a moment to think about practicality. For example, I use lots of containers and trays to contain things in my home. That's not just because I think it's an awesome decorating tool, but it's also because my cat is literally up on everything and his favorite thing is to knock things off the edge of whatever furniture piece he is perched on. Containing items give my beloved things a fighting chance to not get broken!





 

Look at things in a new way. If you have always filled a container with books, try subbing them for plants. If you always put candles in your candlesticks try removing them and leaving as is, or perch something unique on top. For fall, I used gourds, at Christmas I used ornaments, so winter might be a great time for pinecones.





This is just the start of what you can do. Switch rugs from room to room, rearrange furniture or swap a piece from one part of you home to another, switch or mix and match pillows or art. The possibilities are endless and you don't have to make an investment to freshen up your home!







Be sure to come back next week and I'll show you all exactly how I've redecorated for January in my home without purchasing a single thing!


I hope my tips have been of help to you all!






If you liked this post you may also like...


Inspiring Bloggers Series: Vintage Prairie Style

Christmas Dining Table...Deconstructed


Finger Knit Winter Wreath





Linking to...

22 comments:

  1. These are all fantastic tips! I've been feeling the same way about my apartment, and it's taking all of my self-control not to hit the sales also! I'm taking my Christmas stuff down this weekend, so maybe I'll do this :)

    Undeniably, me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angela, thanks so much for this post. As I look around, I am completely stumped on what to do now that I've taken down Christmas decorations. More than anything, I need to de-clutter so that I can actually catch a vision for what I want to see around the house. I just know that whatever you put together for your January decorations, it will be beautiful. I love your eclectic style. Have a wonderful 2014~
    Blessings,
    Nici

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tips. I just finished packing up all my Christmas stuff this morning and my poor house look like a gigantic open space. I'm hoping tomorrow I will be able to fill it back up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is exactly what I've been doing in my home, Angela! I don't have the extra money to buy anything and I certainly don't need anything either. OK, except that I'm thinking about re-doing some things in my living room where I *will* need to buy...I want to take down the pictures on my fireplace wall and replace them with a big mirror. And I want to replace my "entryway" (I use that term lightly - when you walk into my house, you're right in the living room) console table with a padded bench and a coat hook rack on that wall instead of the small mirror and decorative plates. Anyhoo...in the meantime, I'm using what I have and having fun playing around with different arrangements.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I am SO WITH YA! We are busy paying those "boring bills" so this is truly up my alley right now. Not only that, but I have joined a no spend money challenge starting on the 5th to help keep me on track. Bills and essentials are the only exceptions. Thanks for the wonderful tips...I'll be trying them out. And who knows? Maybe I'll blog my "new look". ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so there with you right now Angela. I'll stay strong and keep away from stores if you do... Can't wait to see what you've done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great ideas! I have so many things stashed in closets there's just no need to buy anything.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post Angela! Love all your pretty displays!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Debbie: Excellent post. We're you writing this for me? giggle .... giggle.... we moved into the cutest cape cod. Everything has remained the same for one year. Egads! How boring! Because of medical and education expenses, we have a zero decorating budget. I can do rearranging to keep things fun. Thank you for sharing these fresh ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi I am visiting from the Thrifty Groove. Also your newest follower. I would love if you would come by and visit and link up to the From the Farm Blog Hop. It covers nine blogs. Have a great day. http://www.sunnysimplelife.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. visiting from the thrifty groove , im so glad the cat made it into the pile of favourite things

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate! He is beyond my favorite thing!!!

      Angela

      Delete
  12. Hi Angela...I am right there with you..I always needs to switch things up after the Christmas decorations come down! What a great post on just how to accomplish this sometimes daunting task!!! Visiting from TTG SNP party.
    New Follower here!
    XO Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so sorry that I missed your posts. You are so spot on with it and I adore your little helper of course ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. very inspiring! I am still stashing away some Christmas,
    Marie @
    In Our Happy Place

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post! This year I will be decluttering. Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY!!!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great tips! Now that my Christmas stuff is putting away, I find myself wandering around the house tweaking my decorating scheme and digging into my decorating boxes in the basement.

    I'd love for you to share these tips with my readers at my Motivation Monday linky: http://www.alifeinbalance.net/motivation-monday-linky-party-73/

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a helpful post. Good to think it all through this way. The cat is my favorite thing on the table. :) We are in the process of redoing our master bedroom. Your post gave me some ideas. I found you via My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like the title the best too. LOL My budget is zero. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great tip!!! Looking forward to checking out how it all turned out! Thanks for sharing at Redoux. -K

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for all of your great tips and ideas. Need to make one for my new place. :)

    http://www.ayalalandpremier.com/philippine-properties

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by Number Fifty-Three! I look forward to your comments.