Thursday, January 9, 2014

Design Idea: Adding Pattern in Your Home & My Favorites

Hey all! I love adding patterns into my home. It's so fun to mix and match to achieve a beautiful balance and create interest.  Usually when I do this, I try to focus on a couple of things...Mostly, I like to group patterns based on colors. I have several in my living room alone, but since they are all unified with a light cream color it works great. A bit bolder option would be to focus on patterns. Try mixing several elements that have varying colors, but a similar pattern. 
 
I've been teetering with the idea of buffalo check for a while now. I love it, especially in black and white. It is so graphic and has a wonderful country modern feel to it, but I'm just not sure it's right for our home. What do you all think? Maybe one throw pillow on my couch or as an accent in my master bedroom which is primarily decorated in black, white, pale gray and cream?

 




I adore this x pattern! (And you know what? I have kind of been into pink lately!) The texture of this rug is amazing and I love how the colors tie into the prints on the wall. They look totally pretty until you get close and realize they are actually skulls!
 

 
 
I've been wanting to add some animal print into our home for a long time, but wanted something neutral, that would make you do a double take and I think this is it! It's called Zebra Sublime and is beige and silver. LOVE! I'm thinking about using it to recover the turquoise chairs in our dining room. It will be an easy and inexpensive update that will totally change the feel of the pair.
 


I love, love, love the use of pattern and color in this room! The rug, graphic pillow and afghan all are dissimilar, yet work.  The diamond pattern on the rug mimics that on the pillow, and the afghan and rug have a similar color scheme.
 


And lastly, I love herringbone patterns! Did you know that our couch is actually a subtle tone on tone herringbone fabric? I think it comes off looking like a solid color in photos, but it's there! Wouldn't these ribbons look gorgeous used on the edging of a stark white curtain? Or as a border on a pillow?




 What patterns are you into lately and how do you incorporate them into your own home?

 
 






If you liked this post you may also like...




Living Room Update & Rugs USA Review



Zero Budget Home Tour


Decorating on a Zero Budget

 

4 comments:

  1. i love the buffalo check and it can look different in a lot of spaces. the black and white will look nice in your and i don't think it will come off as too country. you could also try a large black and white stripe or wider ticking. i have brown and white buffalo check in my living room, it looks more rustic than country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love that chair - i'm a big fan of buffalo check. and that pinky rug, i actually love it, never thought i would be saying that about pink...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore that cross stitch rug and the artwork. I have been pinning a lot of cross stitch artwork lately ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by Number Fifty-Three! I look forward to your comments.