Monday, March 17, 2014

Antique Pantry Cabinets as Living Room Storage

You know what? That whole idea of light affecting a paint color is no joke. Seriously. What you think is the perfect color may just be totally different in glaring bright daylight.
 

 

 
I picked up these fantastic antique cabinets a few weeks ago. They had come out of a pantry and were in excellent condition.
 
However, I was not a fan of the cranberry color. Also, since these had been attached in a series the sides were unfinished.  I knew I wanted to stack them (they are super sturdy like this) and paint them a uniform color. I was leaning towards either cream or gray.
 
 
 
I decided to use the gray to balance out our gray upholstered chair in our living room. All was great, until the next morning when it started to get sunny.
 
You see, our living room is always flooded with light. This is such an awesome thing. However, it does not play nice with colors. What was gray on a cloudy day, read straight up lavender in the sun. So not what I wanted. (And believe me, the true lavender is not even coming through in this progress picture.)
 
 
 
Plan B called for me to repaint the cabinets again, this time in Linen by General Finishes. Yup, that's right. I painted this cabinet two full times last week.
 
 
 
 
The after result is fantastic. And, I love the creamy white so much better anyway. But, sometimes getting to that point is killer. Darn me for being a perfectionist.
 
 
 
Anyway, I am loving the scale of the cabinets in the living room and the storage is amazing! Our old home is so lacking in closet space!
 
 
 
 
I'm loving the older feel this piece gives the room. It plays off the more modern elements and ties into the antique dining table we have in the adjoining room.
 
Please tell me that you have run into this problem with paint before, too!


19 comments:

  1. I love it and how you styled it up top. I hate when you have to paint something twice like that. All good in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this piece Angela...it's perfect in that spot!! Love the pretty display on top too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love that piece, so fabulous and the storage is wonderful. I really like the cream color. Yes, my house always looks yellow no matter what I do when the sun is shining. But I can live with that. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah nobody wants straight up lavender! LOVE the new color and the piece itself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are fantastic. I desperately need something like that in my living room as well. And what a creative idea to stack them. I like both colors, but the white probably is the best. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cabinets are a perfect fit for your space. I prefered the gray and would have repainted with a cleaner, truer gray ( I need color). but I'm glad you like your new linen color. I love gray and have use it before and will be painting our bedroom gray in the Fall. I will have to remember to make sure it doesn't have any purple undertones, I wouldn't be happy with that. Soooo hate when I'm not happy with my color choice. I'm trying to decide now if my second coat on my craft room needs to be one shade darker or
    if that will be too much?

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a great storage space! they fit in that corner perfectly, and they look great with the new NEW color :). I love those hinges on them, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I actually love them in both colors. Perfect for your living room!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have cupboard envy! I would have pieces like that in every room of our house if I could find them. Your idea of stacking the cupboards is genius and they fit perfectly in your room!

    I never get the color right the first time. I've been known to paint a piece 3 or 4 times before I get the look I'm after!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I've been there! It looks beautiful in your room, and I love that charming hardware and your pretty styling!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sure have! Painted the hoosier gray but to me it looked to blue with the sun light, it' is now painted a creamy white! Yours are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. love it angela! repainting it was the right move, don't even get me started on how many times this has happened to me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's a bummer you had to do it twice but the end result is so pretty. Love the vignette up top. What a great find too!!

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad to find your blog! Your living space is gorgeous! I absolutely love that piece and its transformations. I also love your styling! Chic, natural, livable! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's gorgeous! Nice job. Sorry you had to do it twice. Love the vignette on top, too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those cabinets do have a lot of character! I love how they look! I appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stacking these cabinets is such a great idea, I don't think I would have though of that! Love the linen color!
    - Lora

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by Number Fifty-Three! I look forward to your comments.