Thursday, May 29, 2014

Coastal Blue MCM Dresser

*I was compensated for this post with supplies, however all content, thoughts and opinions are my own.

This post could also be titled, Twelve Year Olds are Irritating or My Children Just Need to Listen to Me and Let Me Do My Thing.
 

Here's a little background info on this awesome MCM dresser and why you never see my children's bedrooms.  First of all, I picked up the dresser at the thrift store where it was, in my opinion, a bit over priced. I ended up having a pretty good coupon from donating so it made it much more reasonable.  I brought it home thinking it would be perfect for my oldest who is in desperate need of a dresser. And some sort of major organization solution and a maid. He is super brilliant, but has one of the worst cases of ADHD I've ever encountered and it shows in his room. His solution is to "shuffle your feet so you don't step on a LEGO." You all know how I feel about clutter so the entire situation leaves me with a bit of rage and stress.
 
 
 
So, here I am thinking this dresser will be perfect for his clothes and he can display some stuff on top. Also, it has a modern feel and clean lines which he likes. And, he has an MCM nightstand (which he loves, BTW) with the same legs.
 
 I painted it General Finishes Coastal Blue because I thought it fit the piece so well and I knew he loved that color (if you are looking for a gorgeous deep, but not too dark blue, this is it).
 
I went for a very sleek look, with extremely minimal distressing and finished with poly for added protection.
 
 
 
The original hardware came right off (luckily). I wasn't a fan of it to begin with and it was pretty broken and split so I happily replaced it with these classic knobs from D. Lawless Hardware. I know I mention D. Lawless a lot here, and I swear by them. There selection and price are fantastic, especially if you are looking for reproduction pieces.
 
 
 
 
Anyway, so I finished it, photographed it and put it back in the garage to let the paint and poly cure for a few days feeling pretty good about the job I had done. Until my 12 year old informed me he would not be taking the dresser. That was not what he meant by modern and a couple other snarky remarks.
 
So, I listed it for sale. And not long after he heard me say that he reluctantly agreed to take the dresser. This past weekend we hauled it up to his room and he started complaining all over again that he does not want this dresser. If your completely sick of reading about this little dresser drama, know that I was even more sick of living it.
 
Fast forward to it being put in his bedroom and...he loves it. And wants me to now paint his nightstand to match. I love him. He's exhausting to deal with. Now I know what my husband goes through with me.
 


 
 
 


13 comments:

  1. this post had me cracking up- the last line is hilarious! our poor husbands! ;) and the dresser looks awesome- love the lines!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the smile....your dresser is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was smiling the whole time I read this post--I have an 11 year old daughter and recently re-did her room so I can relate to some of what you wrote about! Love the dresser!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The dresser is great. Wonderful job. And, I found the whole son saga hilarious. Aren't our kids funny? They have moms who refinish furniture and therefore, have to deal with the fact that anything we put in their rooms will probably be from a yard sale or thrift store and refinished by their paint-crazy moms!!! I'm so glad he decided to love the piece because it's a wonderful clean lined piece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW Angela you gave that dresser a whole new look...love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok first of all this dresser is STUNNING! And you had me laughing with this one....my son does not want me to touch anything in his room...he wants it as is and will not let me swap out his yucky old dresser for a cabinet that is far better. Thanks for making me smile with this one lady! Happy weekend to you! Nicole xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hate clutter too and my kiddos' rooms stress me out too ;)
    Love the color and legs on this beautiful dresser.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lol! Your story was an awesome read. Kids...can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em and probably wouldn't want to! The dresser turned out great. Glad he changed his mind because I'm sure it would have sold.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ugh. I am not looking forward to Henry having OPINIONS. I like to be the only one with opinions in this house. ;)

    I really like this color a lot. And the transformation is sort of amazing. The removal of the hardware was so smart, and it's just like a new piece.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's too funny! I guess that I'm lucky that my 13 yr old son doesn't yet care about how his room looks. So, it has been smooth sailing with him so far. But, I know the day is coming! I like the dresser. It really does fit nicely for a boys room.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the blue color! Fun project.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous, gorgeous gorgeous, Angela!! I don't know how else to say it! It just is..... Happy week to you!!! :)
    hugs x, Crystelle
    Crystelle Boutique

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by Number Fifty-Three! I look forward to your comments.