Monday, May 19, 2014

Painted Antique Desk & Chair Set

Last week was completely filled with projects that needed a frustratingly large amount of prep work.





 
Prepping furniture before painting is essential, but sometimes it takes far, far longer than I expect.  The veneer on the top and drawer on this desk were not salvageable and it took me so long to remove and repair it.




I pretty much think it was worth it, though, for a couple reasons.  First, I love to work on something that seems destined for the dump and second, I love the final results.




After all the prep was complete, I painted the body of the desk and the chair with General Finishes Lamp Black.  Both got a light distressing and a coat of poly.






I wanted to add in a lighter color and create a contrast with the drawer so I painted it using GF's Millstone. To really give it some presence I heavily distressed it and then added the original hardware back on.




The inside of the drawer was a little stained and ugly, so I ended up also painting it in Millstone and then lined the drawer with burlap.






This set sold right away, which is for the best. It is definitely something I was getting seriously attached too!
 

11 comments:

  1. So unexpected to have burlap in the drawer but I love how everything turned out.
    I have been such a slacker in the furniture painting department. I have a ton of it waiting too, but I just get myself going this spring. Oh well, maybe in the fall ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep! It is gorgeous! The before and after is stunning on this one pal! And I love the dark color you went with while leaving the drawer lighter! Just brilliant! Wishing you a great week! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the two toned look on this piece! it's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love how you lined it with burlap...you did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a pretty set. I love how you styled it with the turquoise bottles and black books!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty, love the pulls and your silhouettes too!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love the contrasting drawer-- beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice save. Love the contrast of the desk.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by Number Fifty-Three! I look forward to your comments.