Thursday, May 1, 2014

Simple, Rustic Potting Bench

*I was compensated for this post with supplies, however all content, thoughts and opinions are my own.
 
Happy May!
 
I am wishing for a springy month as it has still been pretty cold here in the northeast! In fact, our heat has kept turning on over the last few days.
 
While it was still a bit chilly (but at least not pouring) earlier this week, I took the time to strip the top of this fun table.
 



Don't you find stripping furniture to be the most tedious thing ever? But, I could totally picture this piece to be two-toned so I went with it. After some waiting, scraping, sanding and cleaning I finished the top with General Finishes Gel Stain in Java. I've had great results using this stain every single time. And that is totally saying a lot because, for as much furniture as I paint, staining always makes me super nervous.
 
Here's a before shot...
 
 
 
I wanted the entire table to be neutral so that the fun shape could shine. Aren't the sides the coolest?
 
 
 
So, for the remainder of the table I painted it with General Finishes paint in Millstone. This is the first time I have used this particular shade and it is a nice, tan-based neutral a couple of shades deeper than cream.
 
 
 
Of course, you could use this table for anything, but I just completely picture it as a plant stand/potting bench.  It's a great size for a small space and the rustic feels lends itself nicely to the plants.
 
 
 
Local friends: This one is for sale. Message me if interested!