Tuesday, June 3, 2014

DIY Color Block Cutting Board

Hi everyone!

Today I am sharing my contributor post that originally ran on Jennifer Rizzo Design.


I have such an easy and inexpensive project to share with you.
 
Lately, I have been craving natural wood accents more and more. I love the rustic and casual vibe it can give to a space, especially when it is paired with a small touch of paint.





 
 This DIY color block cutting board that I recently created has that simple elegance that I love and was so quick to make.

 
 
Here is the supply list:  a pine round board (I found mine in the lumber section of the home improvement store), painters tape, craft stick (to make sure that the tape is firmly in place), paint, polyacrylic, paint brushes, clean rag, butcher block oil, scissors, leather lace (from the craft store), drill and drill bit, measuring tape and marker.


 
Start out by taping off a portion of the board to paint. Use a craft stick to make sure the tape is on securely to prevent leaks and to get a very sharp paint line.
 
 
 
Paint with your chosen paint color and let dry. (It is always a good idea to remove the tape before the paint has totally dried.) Next, carefully apply a coat of polyacrylic to the painted portion of the board and let dry.
 
 
 
Simply apply the butcher block oil with a clean rag to the rest of the board following the directions on the bottle. (I had to use a few coats.)
 
 
 
Lastly, I measured a center point and placed a small mark to determine where I wanted to drill my hole. When choosing a drill bit make sure to pick one large enough to allow the leather lace to fit through easily. Once the hole is made thread through a length of the leather lace and tie.
 


 
I have been loving this both to serve snacks on and to display on our dining room wall!








 

 
 


 



7 comments:

  1. cute Angela :) I love color block anything :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks great! I love how it has the strap to hang it by. I'm loving our homemade cutting board; it's crazy how expensive it is to BUY a nice one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like I said before, I really really like it and now I'm going to check my cabinets for some chocolate ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great project. I love that you hung it from a strap so that the white line isn't horizontal. Looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the white with the wood tone! It's beautiful! I also want chocolate and berries now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it pal! It is chic and contemporary and you can use it!!!! What don't you do and make! Seriously! Have a wonderful week! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet! I love how you changed the look but you still can use it for cutting. Clever, girl! :-)
    Blessings,
    Kim @ Curtain Queen Creates

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by Number Fifty-Three! I look forward to your comments.