Monday, October 1, 2012

A Collected Autumn Corner

My fall decorating continues, and this past week a tackled this black shelf and dresser that's in the corner of our living room.  I know it's odd to have a dresser in the living room, but you know how it goes when you live in an old house--no storage--so this piece of furniture works perfectly for us as a place to store dvds and extra blankets. 
 
 


I brought in the crock (one of my latest thrifty finds) from the back porch and added in dried corn.  I put a rubberband around the bottom of the cobs to help them stand up and stay together. I love the pop of color it adds to this neutral vingette.  The chandelier canvas is from HomeGoods and had previously been in my entryway.




I found the cool black and white graphic tray on clearance at Target for just a couple of dollars. I brought in a lamp that had been in our classroom and wrapped an old pillar candle I've had for years in printed burlap (secured with double sided tape) that I found at Joann Fabric and tied it with ribbon.  I had the pumpkin candle holder forever, but I am guessing it is from Pier 1. I love the shiny finish of the pumpkin combined with the rusty leaves.




This black shelf is one of my favorite things and I love decorating it for all the seasons.  The size is much more managable to deal with than my gigantic mantel!  The moonshine yarrow are dried and from my garden; the vase is Pottery Barn.  The mercury glass candle holder is from West Elm.  How cute are those tiny pumpkins? I've collected them at various spots over the years.



Sillouettes, that I DIYed, of my cute guys are up all year, but go particularly well with the color scheme in this corner right now.  It's amazing how much these sillouettes actually look like my sons!




Did you notice the little hanging gourd near the lamp?  I just found it the other day at one of my favorite local stores and I couldn't pass it up!



Happy Autumn!

Angela


Linking to:
DIY Show Off UndertheTableandDreaming Mod Vintage Life My Uncommon Slice of SuburbiaHouse on the Way 52 Mantels Beyond The Picket Fence Photobucket A Delightsome Life Rooted In Thymevif187 Liz Marie Bloghttp://www.jenniferrizzo.com/ Funky Junk's Sat Nite Special A Delightsome Life Boogieboard Cottage Too Much Time On My Hands ”Fall Hubby Made MeNew Housebutton Fridays Unfolded SixSistersStuff.com PhotobucketOr so she says A Diamond in the Stuff The Thrifty Groove http://www.carterscottage.net/
The Chicken Chick


45 comments:

  1. You did a great job of tweaking for the season! ~ Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I just found your blog and I have been having such an excellent time going through your recent posts. I love how you decorate and I am looking so forward to following your artful journey. Please accept my invitation to visit and become a mutual follower. Have a marvelous week, Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic shelf! This little corner looks great all decked out for the season.

    If it makes you feel any better, I have a dresser in my living room & I love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great black shelf. The crock with the corn is cute too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love it! It's so elegant and festive. I really like the burlap candle a lot and the corn too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The printed burlap around the candle is so cute and your shelf is great too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great vignette, I love the wrapped candle! Hugs, Penny

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful vignette! Nothing wrong with having a dresser in your living room - it looks lovely and is great for storage!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Angela, Lovely ... I love the mirror too. Everything looks fantastic. You have great style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anne! You always leave the nicest comments!

      Delete
  10. You've got a great eye for decorating Angela, your corner looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this elegant collection and vignettes.

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love, love, love that grey and yellow combo. great collection! thanks for sharing, liz

    ReplyDelete
  13. the black looks so nice and the corn in the crock is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks great. A dresser in the living room is not odd at all. I have a buffet as an entertainment center.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your chandelier canvas really caught my eye ... especially since I just created a giant chalk art chandelier canvas myself for my master bedroom! Oh and I just linked it up her at Kim's too!

    And those those tiny pumpkins on your favorite shelf -- too cute! And your DIY silhouettes are perfect personal touch!

    :)

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  16. So pretty! I hope I can persuade you to come share at my Blog Fest: http://fresh-eggs-daily.blogspot.com/2012/09/farm-girl-friday-blog-fest-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the dresser in the living room, I've used both a dresser and a dry sink in the past to house all the dvds, games, and other stuff I didn't want on display.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love it! Thanks for sharing at the All Star Block Party.

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  19. I looove your shelf! I hope you will stop by and link up at my All Things Fall Party! http://www.thevintagefarmhouse.com/2012/09/all-things-fall-and-folk-magazine.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this! It reminds me of a Pottery Barn photo shoot scene. LOVE it! Found you at Allstar party, & am excited to be your newest follower. HOpe you can visit soon...

    ((Hugs))
    Heather
    stringtownhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love your little pops of yellow using the corn and the flowers! Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Angela,

    Your link pic over at Rob and Laurie's party today inspired me to come and visit and glad I did! Love your autumn ensemble with the natural elements that declare that the season, with all its crisp and cozy days, is here!

    Hope you'll come visit, too.

    Happy Autumn!

    poppy

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, this is lovely. This is so cute. I would love for you to vist me at My Dream Canvas. I am folowing you :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Pretty Fall touches, Angela! Thanks so much for sharing this at the Open House party and I am now a follower.
    Take care,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your fall fluffing looks to natural in your neutral corner. Lovely, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  26. It looks like you have a lovely home - really stylish :)

    Sarah
    http://acatlikecuriosity.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  27. oh goodness, your black shelf...LOVE!! Where did you find such a treasure? Love all your stylish fall touches, especially the dried corn in the crock!

    I'm now following you! :)

    www.leroylime.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by and following, Dawn! The shelf is from a local store in Connecticut. Have a great day!

      Angela

      Delete
  28. I found so much inspiration in your post today, Angela. I love that shelf, and I think I've got something that has been sitting around in our garage forever that I could use to create something along those lines. I love the corn in the crock, and I like the little gourd hung from the shelf. The chandelier artwork is also very striking.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love the dresser and mirror. I have an old dresser at the bottom of our stairs that I used for seasonal things that are needed (scarves, hats, gloves etc.). Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Angela, what a great little vignette...I love that you take the time to make every little corner of your home welcoming....very pretty...thank you for joining us again...xoLucy

    ReplyDelete
  31. I really love the black decor Angela and your setting looks fantastic. Thanks for linking up this week at Shabbilicious Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I just love that shelf, the whole display is pretty though.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great little shelf. Have fun decorating for fall.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh this is sooooo pretty, I love it! Thank you for sharing, love your style :)

    xoxo, Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love your shelf....
    Love your crock....
    Oh my.....!!!!

    Crystelle
    http://www.crystelleboutique.com/

    ReplyDelete
  36. Looks great! I wish my decorating was as nice as yours...love it!
    Thanks for linking up to the Autumn Inspiration Party!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love the idea of a dresser in the living room and you've styled this one beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Wow, that wall shelf is quite striking - looks perfect with the autumn decor! You've done a marvelous job!
    I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  39. Angela, Thanks for sharing this inspiring Autumn corner on Simply & Sweet Fridays. You really know how to decorate for the holidays.

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  40. I just couldn’t leave your website prior to suggesting that I actually enjoyed the usual info a person supply to your guests? Is gonna be back frequently to check up on new posts.Rubbish Clearance

    ReplyDelete
  41. I loved the tiny gourd. ♥ Thank you for linking up with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop! I hope we see more clever decorating ideas from you next week!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by Number Fifty-Three! I look forward to your comments.