Monday, May 20, 2013

Vintage Aqua Dresser

I can' believe it's the start to another week! This month is flying by and I've been super busy with all kinds of custom painting orders.
 
 
Remember that cottage, yellow dresser that I shared last week, here? Well, I got a second dresser the same day and it sold immediately to the next person that had been on my waiting list.
 
 

 
Her instructions were to do anything that I wanted because her bedroom furniture was all black so she could work with any color.  It's both awesome to have that kind of freedom and pretty nerve wracking to have no guidance.
 
 
 
 
Since I love colors in the turquoise/aqua family I decided to go that route.  I also decided to do my technique of layering paint, rather than the white wash/dry brush that I had done on the yellow dresser because this piece had more of a vintage feel.  Here is the before (it was a little bit rougher in real life than how it is photographing).
 
 
 
After some minor repairing and sanding and priming I painted the entire dresser with a coat of Martha Stewart's Driftwood Gray.  I used Valspar's LaFonda Mirage as the top coat. It is just the prettiest light aqua, without being a pastel or too babyish.  I gave everything a light distressing before waxing.
 
 
 
I love how this came out (and luckily my client did, too)! I'm really looking forward to using this aqua again. I think next time I am going to layer it over a charcoal gray...can't wait!
 
 
 
Have a great day! Wish me luck--my youngest broke his glasses over the weekend and they are honestly electrical taped back together right now so we need to make an emergency trip to the optical shop this morning since he is blind without glasses. Should be a good time...
 
 




 

Linking to: 
DIY Show Off Mod Vintage Lifehttp://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/2013/02/nifty-thrifty-tuesday-no151.htmlthurCozyLittleHousebadge150xhttp://www.cozylittlehouse.com/ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia52 MantelsBeyond The Picket FencePhotobucket A Delightsome Life vif187http://www.jenniferrizzo.com/ Boogieboard Cottage”Fall  http://www.savvysouthernstyle.net/


 

16 comments:

  1. that color is so in my happy place! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the new color, so pretty. I have been on an aqua kick, so this is perfect. I would love for you to link this to my Inspire Me party this evening. www.astrollthrulife.net
    Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  3. very very pretty color. love the hardware too. looks fab.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like the idea of layering paint, I have a washstand that I'm thinking of redoing and this would be a great idea to paint it the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love it angela - great pick for the colour. i think martha does the best aquas, though i am pretty partial to her other colours as well. my doors are all painted her francesca black in a high gloss. i think it might be my fave black, it has some amazing dimension to it.
    hope the glasses hunting goes well:)
    keya

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving this soft aqua...lucky customer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous! You always do such great work!
    Jamie @ somuchbetterwithage.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm in love with this colour!
    gorgeous piece.
    Bec x

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is beautiful, I love the color choise! Great job!

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Angela, Glad you kept the hardware as it's perfect with the color you chose. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks gorgeous, such a great color.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I cannot wait to go to Home Depot and find this color... just perfect for a seaside home, don't you think? Charming dresser with perfect detailing. What a treasure! Thanks so much for sharing this beauty with us!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Featured your pretty dresser at Mod Mix Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that your preserved the original hardware, but if you ever need excellent reproductions for your projects, I recommend the selections at www.lookintheattic.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. So pretty~ love the color!! Thanks for linking up at Feathered Nest Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I love that color!!! I need one:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by Number Fifty-Three! I look forward to your comments.