Thursday, October 24, 2013

Glam Skull Place Cards

I have to say that in past years, I never was one to decorate much for Halloween.
 
 
I've tried to embrace it this year, though, for a couple of reasons.
 
One being that my oldest has had such a miserable month being sick that I knew he would love the additions (his favorite holiday is Halloween and he loves sciency things like skulls).



 
 
The bonus was that these skull place cards were inexpensive and super easy to make.
 
I didn't really photograph all the steps for a tutorial, because these really are so simple.
 
I started with paper mache skulls from the craft store and gave them each a coat of FolkArt Metallic Paint in Pure Gold. When dry, I topped it with two coats of Martha Stewart Crafts Multi-Surface Course Glitter in Florentine Gold.
 
I cut out some tags from leftover chipboard that I had from other projects, painted them with chalkboard paint and tied them to the eye socket with twine. I love the mix of the rustic chalkboard and twine with the glam skull.
 
 
 
 
I also replaced my favorite Julia Child quote with a hand drawn sugar skull on our chalkboard and skeleton garland that I happened to have on hand (i.e., I swiped from my son's Halloween stash). All is good, though...he loves it!
 

 

 

One more shot of the current mix of color, formality and fun in our dining room right now.



Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by to check out my latest project! Don't forget my entire autumn home tour will be shared on
October 31st as part of the Modern & Fall Home Series.

 


 
 




Linking to: 

startathomeAll Things Thursday Blog Hop

12 comments:

  1. So fun! I love the great mix of colors and the glittery skulls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love these! love me some glam creepiness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angela, let me start by saying that the last picture looks fabulous with all the colors and the MCM vibe and it goes straight to my Pinterest styling board! And great idea with the skulls, too (so jealous that I can't find any paper mache skulls in my home town...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your room looks great! Love the candles and the little skulls are so fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh the skulls are wonderful and I adore the room, it is delightful...and I am a new follower of yours and I will be back again for a visit, come on over for a visit....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like this idea. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful idea! The skulls look cute.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Hope to see you on my blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your skulls are great! I love that used them as place cards and the way you altered them!
    I linked over from Make the Scene Monday where I am participating with my
    Cute Halloween project,
    If the Broom Fits Free Printable,
    Every Leaf Free Printable
    I would love it if you'd stop by.
    Hugs, antonella :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've taken decorating for Halloween to all new heights - quite elegant and spooky at the same time - you're a wonderful mom too :) do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by Number Fifty-Three! I look forward to your comments.