Thursday, August 15, 2013

Vintage Conant Ball Bookcase

Everyone, this is one of those pieces of furniture that is just amazing. Solid, fantastic construction that I literally picked it up for nothing while my husband and I were out looking for tag sales a couple of weekends ago. Seriously, I got such a great deal he didn't even believe me that it was actually wood at first.
 
 


But, there is was...horribly worn finish, yes, but all original pieces and signed. Sigh.

 
 
I knew that I wanted to paint it a fun color, but minimally distress it. Pieces from this era are just too modern for lots of fussing and distressing.
 


 I painted the piece a deep royal/navy blue and, when dry, just barely distressed the edges to show some natural wear. I wanted to accent the feet and break up all the blue so I painted them the palest shade of gray and gave them just a bit of a heavier distressed look for contrast.
 
 
 
Here's a before shot for comparison.
 


 
 And, after. I love pieces that are so versatile. I can picture this equally in a child's room or in a vintage inspired living room or office.
 


The sweet globe, which lights up, by the way was a recent thrift store score. Pure vintage goodness!
 
 
 
This is just one of the pieces that will be for sale next weekend when I open up my garage and sell all the fun things I've been collecting and working on this summer.
 
If you're local be sure to stop by on the 24th!
 
 

 
 
 
Linking to: 
DIY Show Off Mod Vintage Lifehttp://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/2013/02/nifty-thrifty-tuesday-no151.htmlhttp://www.cozylittlehouse.com/ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia52 MantelsBeyond The Picket FencePhotobucket A Delightsome Life vif187http://www.jenniferrizzo.com/ ”Fall  http://www.savvysouthernstyle.net/
Furniture Feature Fridays


 

8 comments:

  1. totally love this! love the white legs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure wish I could be there when you open your garage door...I'd have so much fun! I love the legs on it too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! You picked the perfect colors for this piece.
    Keya

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your transformation. That color is perfect! Very well done.
    ~FringeGirl

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful blue. :) I love that middle shelf added in there, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the blue you picked to re-do it in. The white feet, perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the white legs against the blue dresser. Come link to centerpiece Wednesday and share this post with us. http://thestylesisters.blogspot.com/2013/08/centerpiece-wednesday-89.html
    Karin

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by Number Fifty-Three! I look forward to your comments.