Monday, February 24, 2014

Chippy, Painted Dresser

First of all, a huge thank you and hug to all my new followers and for all of the fab comments you left me on my Primitive & Proper and Must Love Junk features this past week!
 

I don't often work with furniture that has been previously painted, but I recently got a fantastic deal on a couple of pieces and I'm sharing the first today.




I love the lines of this dresser! The bow front, the delicate legs and the smaller stature.
 


Since the paint was a bit chipped and uneven I decided to sand first. Little did I know that the majority of the paint would come off. Seriously, I was outside in 18 degree weather for like an hour sanding and cleaning (and freezing), but I completely think it was worth it.  Here's what it look like when I got it and after some intense sanding...



 (I know, terrifying, right?)

The people at General Finishes are the best and they have supplied me with some amazing colors to work with.


 
 
For this dresser I started with a base coat of Corinth Blue and then topped it with Dark Chocolate.  I lightly distressed the piece to reveal some of the wear and imperfections. I really love the bold turquoise peaking out from the deep brown!


 
And, did you notice the fantastic glass hardware? My other favorite company, D. Lawless Hardware helped me out by sending me these Glass Barrel Knobs.

 

 

 

*I was compensated for this post, however all content, thoughts and opinions are my own.