Thursday, July 2, 2015

Rustic Wood Bunting

Morning everyone!
 
Today is my Mom's birthday and, since she is in love with Americana, plus tonight is our city's fireworks (which you can see from our backyard), plus we are just a couple of days away from the 4th, I whipped up this rustic wood bunting yesterday.
 


 
I used a couple of different stains and some ivory paint, to give it a more rustic, beachy feel instead of the tradition red, white and blue.
 

 
Here's what you need to make your own (or two...this gives enough supplies for two buntings...one for me, one for Mom):  Wood circle from the lumber department of Home Depot (either have them cut it in half or do it yourself at home), sander, clean rags, dark stain, gray stain, ivory chalk paint, artist brush, stencil or cookie cutters, poly, drill, rope or twine, scissors.
 
 
 
Once the wood is cut into two semicircles, give them a good sanding to soften the edges, clean, and then stain with a dark stain.
 
Next, stencil or paint your stars. It would have been delightful to have a star stencil, but I couldn't find one, so I used a cookie cutter. I just held it firmly in place and painted inside.
 
Once dry, sand the entire piece.
 
Then, stain with the gray stain (just adds another layer and more age).
 
Sand again if desired and then seal with poly.
 
Once dry, drill two holes at the top and string some rope to hang up the bunting.
 
 
 
I think these would be so fun on a porch or indoors on a fireplace!
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by Number Fifty-Three! I look forward to your comments.