Thursday, October 31, 2013

My Modern & Fresh Home Tour!

 Hi everyone and welcome to my autumn home tour!  When Kristin and Lindsay asked me to participate I was beyond honored to be a part of this wonderful series. Have you all been following along? There has been some amazingly gorgeous home tours shared by some amazingly talented ladies!




I loved having the challenge of decorating for a modern and fresh fall season!  Lately, I've noticed I've been taking my design inspiration from color, rather than a particular object or theme.  This fall I have really been loving orange paired with brass and gold (OK, I really always love brass and gold, but the orange is a bold departure for me).
 

One of my favorite things this season was balancing gourds and pumpkins on brass candlesticks. I love how it made these simple and natural objects take center stage on my mantel.




As you can see, I love using nature in my home and added this large branch to the other side of my mantel. The vase fillers are little golden skulls that I altered by using Rub 'N Buff on some inexpensive dollar store finds.

(You can see more of my mantel, here.)
 
 
 
To warm up my living room I changed out my light and bright aqua and white pillows from the summer with this deep orange/red chevron pillow in a more substantial fall fabric.
 
 


I always decorate my coffee table with seasonal items. The cement pumpkin was a recent find this fall and I love the contrast of its industrial feel with the brass vase and gold mini pumpkin. I also added in these pumpkins on a stick that I found at the grocery store (of all places) last year. Everyone needs a few pumpkins on a stick!




Turquoise is the main accent color in our home and I have been loving how it looks paired with the warmer oranges that I've added to the space.




Can you tell I have a thing for interesting gourds and pumpkins? And bittersweet...I always have to add in a sprig of it to my autumn home.




Our main living area flows right into our dining room.




Our table is set to welcome guests with gold, skull place cards.




You can see the full post about how I created them, here.




These cattails were another grocery store find. Seriously, check out the floral department. Sometimes they have really unique items.




I added in another nod to Halloween with this sugar skull that I drew on our antique chalkboard and a garland of skeletons I draped from the top of it.




An old wooden card catalogue drawer filled with vintage candlesticks and orange candles carries my color theme into this room, too.




I made this dream catcher a couple of weeks ago with craft supplies I had lying around my home. It's super simple to create! (You can see my step by step instructions and read the full post here.)




For one final natural element, I filled this vintage crate with colorful Indian corn. The metal S is for our last name and it's orange color is just perfect!
 
 

 
Thank you all so much for stopping by and have a fantastic and fun Halloween! One last thing, though. My house tour would not be complete without a picture from Figaro, my resident DIY assistant and constant photo bomber. He did his absolute best Halloween cat impersonation for you all! Fierce, no?
 
 
 

 
Now go and check out every last one of the home tours shared this month. I promise you they are fantastic!
 
Modern + Fresh Fall Home Tour Bloggers:
 October 1 – Kristen and Lindsay
2 – Sarah from Sarah M. Dorsey Designs
3 – Gabbi from Retro Ranch Reno
4 – Brittany from Brittany Makes
5 – Jesse from Scout & Nimble
6 – Julia from Cuckoo 4 Design
7 – Carolyn from Sweet Chaos Home
8 – Jennifer from The Chronicles of Home
9 – Bethany from Dwellings by Devore
10 – Carmel from Our Fifth House
11 – Kristin from The Hunted Interior
12 – Annekke from This That & Life
13 – Michelle from Décor and the Dog
14 – Cassie from Primitive & Proper
15 – Ally from From the Right Bank
16 – Shannon from Shannon Berrey Designs
17 – Danika from Gorgeous Shiny Things
18 – Kristin from Bliss at Home
19 – Jenna from Rain on a Tin Roof
20 – Jessica from Dear Emmeline
21 – Kelly from View Along the Way
22 – Sarah from Lacquer and Linen
23 – Eileen from A Creative Day Blog
24 – Sarah from Royal Marigold
25 – Lori from Lori May Interiors
26 – Jennifer from Dimples and Tangles
27 – Caitlin from Desert Domicile
28 – Sherry from Design Indulgence
29 – Lakeitha from Lakeitha Duncan Lifestyle Blog
30 – Shavonda from A Home Full of Color and Whitney from The Curtis Casa

31 – Angela from Number Fifty-Three and Jennifer from Brave New Home
  
 

 

 
 
 




Linking to: 

startathomeAll Things Thursday Blog Hop














23 comments:

  1. Hello! I came over from the tour and love the fun touches of natural elements you added (among the rest of your fall items too). I love sugar skulls and am now more determined to either find or make a chalkboard so I can draw seasonal items!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love your style of decorating. I particularly like the grouping of white plates above your old wood trunk, and that last picture is certainly fitting for the holiday!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks so great angela! love that cement pumpkin and all your styling is pretty fantastic!
    keya

    ReplyDelete
  4. the orange and turquoise looks great together! love all the candles in the wood crate...looks so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the chalked skull art. Super cool! xo Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great! I get a bit old world charm feeling, too. Not sure if that was intentional or not : ]

    ReplyDelete
  7. Angela - LOVE your home tour! Your home is always inviting and fresh..your sense of style is one that I enjoy!

    Cheryl @ The Creative Me and My McG

    ReplyDelete
  8. Little pops of orange can really brighten up a room. You've been really creative with your orange, but my favorite is the pumpkins on the brass candlesticks.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  9. your chalkboard i amazeballs! and i love the blues and oranges together in your home! i love your home! and you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. There's so many things in this post that I love! Touches of nature used in decor...I recently blogged about that. Your dining room chairs (turquoise and the white slipcovers)...swoon! Adore the brass vase on the coffee table. Love your couch with the nailhead trim. Very classy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How lovely, you have great style. FYI, they are called "cattails", (cat o nine tails are a torture whip, yikes!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome tour Angela...you know how much I love your style!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love all of the turquoise that you have used in your home! And all of your little touches are amazing! Congrats on the feature!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely home. I really love the skull art. So cool.

    Ellya

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your pumpkins on a stick and crate of corn! Very pretty tour!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have the same wood and leather occasional chair! The one in the fifth picture down with the pink and gray geometric pillow in it. I bought mine at a thrift store. Do you know anything about it?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ha Ha...love the last picture with your kitty! Enjoyed your fall tour.....very creative and fun! Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Girl, I am just dying over your fall tour. So sorry I'm just getting around to commenting...my no internet hit at a TERRIBLE time! I'm posting about it on my blog now :) So glad you could join!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Girl, I am just dying over your fall tour. So sorry I'm just getting around to commenting...my no internet hit at a TERRIBLE time! I'm posting about it on my blog now :) So glad you could join!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your eclectic and gorgeous home. Love the skull chalk board art.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I dearly love your turquoise dresser. It just made me smile. It's such a cheerful color.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your home is just so lovely. I wouldn't have thought to put orange and gold together, but it's really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful home! Love the pops of blue and adore your cat! I do apprecate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by Number Fifty-Three! I look forward to your comments.