Wednesday, February 12, 2014

{Project Notebook} Painted Kitchen Countertops

Hey all. Can we have a little chit chat about countertops? And the fact that mine need serious help.
 
 
 Source
 
When our kitchen was all nasty and oak filled the countertops were the best thing it had going for it.
 
But, now that I have painted the beadboard white, the walls pale gray, the lower cabinets a dark, moody gray/brown, the uppers white (removed the doors), added hardware, painted the backsplash and basement door chalkboard, got stainless steel appliances and a stainless steel island and DIY'd a drum light, the countertops are glaring.
 
 
And, lest you think I've been holding out on you all with kitchen reveals and all sorts of befores and afters, I haven't. Lots of this was done pre-blogging. Yes, that it totally how long I've been working on this project. But, you can see some updates herehere, and here.
 
Which leaves me with the countertops. And while they are not avocado or orange or some other hideous color, they are worn and in need of help.
 
The problem is finances. As in lack there of. And skill. I completely cannot DIY myself a counter (as much as I love the look of a wood countertop). You know, the whole part about having to remove the sink freaks me out. Plumbing is where I draw the line.
 
Anyway, I have been researching painting my countertops. Seriously. Now with this comes the whole it will not necessarily be food safe problem...which is a biggie for some. BUT, all food prep takes place on our stainless steel island. Also, I would make the countertops super dark...like black or charcoal dark.

 
I'm thinking this project could maybe hold us out a year or two until (hopefully) we can afford new counters. Sort of like when I slipcovered out old couch to get some extra life out of it.
 
Opinions, comments, suggestions, ideas....Please share I need to hear them!