Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Subtle & Thrifty October Mantel

I've been slowly working my way around the main living areas in our home adding in fall touches.  I'm much more of an autumn decorator than a Halloween one.  I love dried corn, twigs, pumpkins and all those little things that you associate with the season.  However, I did want to add a subtle touch of Halloween to my mantel this year.



I placed a mini orange pumpkin on an antique wooden candle holder. The dark layers of dripped wax add a spooky feel.  The handful of white tapers are sitting in an old glass beaker; also perfect for holding potions.

 
 
 



The white, ceramic skull normally sits in our classroom, but I thought it was the perfect nod to the season.



I used a regular wall stencil and sidewalk chalk to add the chandelier to my antique chalkboard.  A quick tip is to dip the chalk in water before using as it gives much deeper coverage.



I know the bittersweet weren't quite ready to be harvested as the berries aren't their usual red, but I just couldn't wait!  Luckily, after a day or two the majority of the berries started to turn.


My mantel transformation consisted of items that I pulled from storage or other areas of my home. The bittersweet was found in my neighborhood, making this update completely free! You just have to love that!

To see how my autumn decor flows throughout my house check out the following related posts:  A Collected Autumn Corner, My Autumn Coffee Table Styling, {Frugal Fall} Entry & Tutorial, and Autumn Art & Decor.

For more ideas be sure to check out these boards on Pinterest:  Autumn/Halloween Inspiration, Mantel Problems! and Wreaths, Buntings & Banners.

Angela

Linking to:DIY Show Off UndertheTableandDreaming Mod Vintage Life My Uncommon Slice of SuburbiaHouse on the Way 52 Mantels Beyond The Picket Fence Photobucket A Delightsome Life Rooted In Thymevif187 Liz Marie Bloghttp://www.jenniferrizzo.com/ Funky Junk's Sat Nite Special A Delightsome Life  Boogieboard Cottage Too Much Time On My Hands ”Fall Hubby Made MeNew Housebutton Fridays Unfolded SixSistersStuff.com PhotobucketOr so she says MakingA Diamond in the Stuff http://www.foxhollowcottage.com/2012/10/octoberfest-of-fun-fall-and-halloween.html
The Thrifty Groovehttp://www.carterscottage.net/
The Chicken Chick
52 Mantels


52 Mantels
52 Mantels
DIY Show Off Fall Festival Party

Cottage & VineThe Inspired Room