Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Subtle & Thrifty October Mantel

I've been slowly working my way around the main living areas in our home adding in fall touches.  I'm much more of an autumn decorator than a Halloween one.  I love dried corn, twigs, pumpkins and all those little things that you associate with the season.  However, I did want to add a subtle touch of Halloween to my mantel this year.



I placed a mini orange pumpkin on an antique wooden candle holder. The dark layers of dripped wax add a spooky feel.  The handful of white tapers are sitting in an old glass beaker; also perfect for holding potions.

 
 
 



The white, ceramic skull normally sits in our classroom, but I thought it was the perfect nod to the season.



I used a regular wall stencil and sidewalk chalk to add the chandelier to my antique chalkboard.  A quick tip is to dip the chalk in water before using as it gives much deeper coverage.



I know the bittersweet weren't quite ready to be harvested as the berries aren't their usual red, but I just couldn't wait!  Luckily, after a day or two the majority of the berries started to turn.


My mantel transformation consisted of items that I pulled from storage or other areas of my home. The bittersweet was found in my neighborhood, making this update completely free! You just have to love that!

To see how my autumn decor flows throughout my house check out the following related posts:  A Collected Autumn Corner, My Autumn Coffee Table Styling, {Frugal Fall} Entry & Tutorial, and Autumn Art & Decor.

For more ideas be sure to check out these boards on Pinterest:  Autumn/Halloween Inspiration, Mantel Problems! and Wreaths, Buntings & Banners.

Angela

Linking to:DIY Show Off UndertheTableandDreaming Mod Vintage Life My Uncommon Slice of SuburbiaHouse on the Way 52 Mantels Beyond The Picket Fence Photobucket A Delightsome Life Rooted In Thymevif187 Liz Marie Bloghttp://www.jenniferrizzo.com/ Funky Junk's Sat Nite Special A Delightsome Life  Boogieboard Cottage Too Much Time On My Hands ”Fall Hubby Made MeNew Housebutton Fridays Unfolded SixSistersStuff.com PhotobucketOr so she says MakingA Diamond in the Stuff http://www.foxhollowcottage.com/2012/10/octoberfest-of-fun-fall-and-halloween.html
The Thrifty Groovehttp://www.carterscottage.net/
The Chicken Chick
52 Mantels


52 Mantels
52 Mantels
DIY Show Off Fall Festival Party

Cottage & VineThe Inspired Room
 






 
 

37 comments:

  1. I love it!! Stopped over from the Open House Party:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How creative. Love your ideas. Might borrow the one with the candles in a jar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your mantel. I love how simple and classy it is. So great to 'shop' your house. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that! I never would have personally thought to pair the two together! It looks great!

    =)


    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your style! Your mantle is rustic and beautiful. I, too, put a painting over my large mirror that's over the fireplace. I'm glad I stopped by for inspiration!
    Blessings,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm stopping by from Delightsome Life! I love the chicken wire cloch with the pumpkin sitting on a rustic pot. Hugs, Penny

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the chandelier stencil on your chalkboard. Great tip about dipping chalk in water. I'm stopping over from the Happy Hour Link party at the Craftberry Bush.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your mantle! Brilliant to use a stencil with the chalk! I am hoping that my bittersweet will be ready when I get back from vacation! I always love to decorate with it! Life to the full, Melissa @ DaisyMaeBelle

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your mantel looks great! I love what you did with the chalkboard and the stencil.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The mantel looks great. Love the chalkboard.

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love that chalkboard, so pretty! I'm inspired :)

    Claire @gypsyslowdown.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. GREAT MANTEL! I love the wire cloche, the pretty lamp and the chalkboard idea.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful, Angela. Your chalk chandelier is fabulous ... and, I love your little skull mixed in, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the chalk chandelier. Fun mantel. I am your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your mantel is so pretty. I love all the elements you used especially the chalkboard with the very clever stencil idea!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely, Angela--I really like the stenciled chalk chandilier--very cool idea!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Angela,
    visiting from Brambleberry Cottage, love all the elements you pulled together for your mantle! Simple and effective, especially the little skull you added. Looks great! Have enjoyed browsing thru, am your newest follower and would love for you to visit me.
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  18. pRETTY Mantel!! Need to do something fallish with mine after seeing yours!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Angela, LOVE that wonderful chalkboard and that chandy stencil is perfect for a wonderful feel of Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Everything looks great Angela! Love all the "dripiness" going on! Thanks for sharing with us at TTF!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi again Angie...I think I discovered a new emotion today...bittersweet envy.
    ha....I just love how it looks draped over your mirror and to know that it's real....yup...bittersweet envy....;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your home looks lovely! I love the chalk stencil and your tip on that.
    Thanks so much for linking up at I Gotta Create! <3 Christina

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a fantastic mantel. I've been awway and I have yet to decorate mine. I love all the simple, inexpensive...yet, elegant touches you have used!
    Thanks for sharing,
    Carolynn

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love it all Angela. Thanks for linking up this week at Shabbilicious Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love it! So pretty. Like your chalkboard chandy! Thank you for sharing. Saw you over at Boogieboard. Would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House which goes live at 8am CST on Monday. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com Hope to see you at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  26. Awesome idea's. Love the chalkboard with the chandelier.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Very pretty, I love your choices. Came here from Make it Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your mantel looks perfect for Fall with a little bit of halloween! Great chalkboard.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love the chandelier in chalk! What a great idea to use a stencil!! I'm now following your lovely blog! =) Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your mantel turned out lovely. I found you via the Fox Hollow Mantel party. It's always nice to find a fellow New Englander. I have become your newest follower and look forward to reading your future posts.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your mantle is amazing! Thanx for sharing at THT!

    ReplyDelete
  32. So very beautiful and so very clever - love the chandelier on the chalkboard - your pictures are just marvelous - I think you've inspired many! I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks so much for sharing this creative October mantle on Simple & Sweet Fridays. I love how the chandelier looks on the chalkboard.

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  34. Bittersweet is one of my favorite, natural elements to decorate with this time of year (regardless of the color!). Pretty mantle. Thanks for sharing with the Clever Chicks!!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick

    ReplyDelete
  35. Your fall mantel looks perfect for the season! Thanks so much for joining "The After Party"!

    René

    ReplyDelete
  36. Beautiful fall mantel. I'm so jealous of your fresh bittersweet. Mine is plastic!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by Number Fifty-Three! I look forward to your comments.